Shanklin Scouts - 1995

 1st Shanklin Scout Camp - 1995 - MaC


As the newly appointed Scout Leader at 1st Shanklin, I took my merry little band of 8 Scouts off to Corf for the County Scout Camp. Their first camp. My first camp too.

There was some discussion about which way up to use a sleeping bag...
 And we had a lesson or two about keeping tents tidy...
It rained! Then it rained! Then it rained some more! We used pallets to keep out of the mud between tents...
 
My two patrols survived quite well considering the cold and rain, but they were very impressed when Julie (my wife) showed up with a couple of rotissary chickens - which were literally torn apart in enjoyment!
  
Their parents also showed up with food packages. 
We found a few breaks in the weather and, amongst other activities, managed to go on the climbing tower.

When it came time to pack up, we had to take our gear through an enormous muddy patch and puddle. 

Unfortunately at this time I packed my camera away so you'll just have to imagine the next bit....... pushing the trolley one of the Scouts fell face down in the mud. 

We said to him to go to the toilets and wash some of the mud off.

A few minutes later he returned sparkling clean, but walking in a peculiar manner.  "Skip" he wailed. "My wellies are full of water.....". Yes, he'd just stood in the shower for 5 minutes....